- Bristol, derives from "Brigstow", the Saxon for bridging point.
- Formerly part of Avon county, the city is now a unitary authority in its own right,
- with a population of around 500,000 people.
- This category tree is for websites about, or with addresses located within Bristol.
- Bristol is in the South West of England on
- the south bank of the Severn Estuary at Avonmouth,
- between the unitary authorities of:
- North Somerset to the west and south,
- Bath and North East Somerset to the south west,
- South Gloucestershire immediately north and east.
- separating Bristol from the county of Wiltshire further west.
- All websites should be under the appropriate sub-category,
- where they can be included in the Regional Tree View
- [ toggle the ⇞-symbol to return to the traditional category view ].
- Please only suggest websites that are about, or are by people who live in the county of Bristol.
- Websites for businesses should be suggested under the Business and Economy category.
including Restaurant and Pubs.
- Accommodation is a sub-category of Travel and Tourism
where Inns are including with Hotels.
- Personal Weblogs and Social Media Homepages, should be listed under Society and Culture.
- If the website shows physical addresses in more than one neighbourhood,
- please suggest it to the most appropriate sub-category here, not to that for each loaclity.
Websites comprising only photographs of areas of Bristol are more appropriate for the Maps and Views category.
This category tree is for websites relating to Arts and Entertainment based in Bristol, England.
Guidelines for Bristol Arts and Entertainment:
- Please suggest websites only about Bristol-based arts and entertainment organisations,
- companies, entertainers, artists and/or services in this category.
- The title should be the name of the organisation.
- The description should be a brief summary of the organisation''s products and services.
- The description should be in English and in coherent sentence form.
- Do not type in all caps.
- Do not include a list of keywords.
- Do not include your products.
- Do not write a sales pitch.
- Do not include superlatives or a sales pitch.
- Do not write your company history the word 'profile' will suffice.
- Do not submit a list of keywords.
- Do not use unnecessary capitalisation, or include HTML tags.
- Suggest the website to only ONE category.
- Suggest the website to the most appropriate category possible.
- If you cannot find the proper category, first look elsewhere in DMOZ.
This category lists websites in the Avonmouth area of the unitary authority of Bristol,
the port on the Bristol Channel north west of of the city centre.
Until there are sufficient websites to justify a separate category, this also lists websites for
the area south of the M5, within the Electoral Ward Avonmouth & Lawrence Weston
such as Shirehampton and Sea Mills immediately south on the east bank of the Avon,
Lawrence Weston inland, Coombe Dingle and Kings Weston Hill.
South west across the Avon, spreads the unitary authority of North Somerset, with the parish of Easton-in-Gordano with Pill.
Websites for the area west of the mouth of the Avon, and north of the M5, should be listed in the Portishead category.
Websites for further north towards the Severn estuary should be listed in the most appropriate subcategory
available for South Gloucestershire.
Within the unitary authority of Bristol the next locality south of South Gloucestershire, is Henbry.
then south of this is Stoke Bishop.
Please suggest websites here only if they are specifically about, or show an address in the Avonmouth area, east of the mouth of the River Avon, around the M5, in the ward administered by the Bristol City Council.
Includes industries and companies engaged in transforming livestock and agricultural products into products for intermediate or final consumption. Also included are manufacturers and distributors of food and beverage processing supplies and equipment, wholesalers, and services supporting industries in this sector, which include consulting, employment, marketing, associations, etc. Professional and industrial resources are also included.
Please submit sites for Bristol industries and establishments engaged in any of the following: advertising, branding and corporate identity, promotional items, market research, public relations and training of sales representatives.
If the site you are submitting relates to an organisation with more than one UK location, it is normally better submitted to a similar category outside the Bristol tree.
This category lists websites specifically for the Clifton area of Bristol, to the west of the city centre.
Besides the Electoral Ward of Clifton, this includes that for Clifton Down.
Please only suggest websites to this category if they show only one physical address in the Clifton area of Bristol, to the west of the city centre.
Otherwise consider suggesting to another topical subcategory of Bristol instead.
Includes local educational institutions, programmes and opportunities; as well as other location specific educational resources.
For quicker placement in the directory please follow these Submission Tips:
Title: Name of School or Organisation
Description: This describes the website and should note distinguishing features found on the site.
Includes regional government, law and military information (e.g. Branches of Government, Law, Military, Taxes).
Includes general interest online guides and directories specific to the region; those that are specific to a particular topic should instead be placed within the appropriate topic subcategory within the region.
Includes health and medical resources specific to the region.
Includes links to maps, photograph sites, live web cams, satellite imagery ... any visual representation of the area.
It does not contain sites selling maps.
Includes news and media sites specific to the region (e.g. Magazines, Newspapers, Radio, Television).
Includes all hobbies, sports and participatory recreational activities specific to Bristol; including local recreation organisations.
Bristol based organisations, clubs, websites about sport, recreation, hobbies.
Groups, bodies and publications concerned with protection of the environment, directly or indirectly.
Closely mirrors that of the main Society category; includes sites that reflect the make up of the region's community: its people, its history, and resources and institutions that serve the people of the region.
Web sites of political parties in Bristol.
These may include constituency or district political parties.
Please note the existence of the Government subcategory for local government sites and / or local offices of national government agencies.
This category lists websites in the Stoke Bishop area of the unitary authority of Bristol,
south of the port of Avonmouth, and the electoral ward which includes
Weston Lawrence, Coombe Dingle and Kings Weston Hill.
This is north west of the city centre, separated by Clifton.
Directly north east is the Bristol City Council Electoral Ward of Westbury-on-Trym & Henleaze.
The ward of Clifton Down is south of this, where websites are repsented by the Clifton category.
Situated on the east bank of the Avon, west across the Avon, is the unitary authority of North Somerset parish of Easton-in-Gordano with Pill.
Please suggest websites here only if they are specifically about, or show an address in the Stoke Bishop area, east of the mouth of the River Avon, north west of Clifton, administered by the Bristol City Council.
Includes area transport resources for those travelling to and from, and within the region.
For information about boat trips, ferries and waterbuses in Bristol
Includes area attractions and resources for those travelling in the region, including tourist guides.
Includes all weather-related sites for the region or.