Add Note to URL Feature
The colored notes at the top of the "edit URL" screen communicate important information about a particular URL or web site. The colors have the following meanings:
- Red - A red note should be used to alert editors to abuse, spam, redirects, mirrors, affiliates, spider food and other types of sites we don't list.
Note: if you see red noted URLs in unreviewed, don't delete on sight. Sites can change. Visit and review the site. If the note no longer applies, post in the forum thread about url notes stating why the tag may no longer be valid.
- Yellow - A yellow note should be used to inform editors of special alerts about URLs. Yellow doesn't necessarily have a negative meaning. These notes inform editors of peculiarities or special circumstances.
- Green - A green note should be used to alert editors to extraordinarily useful and quality resources. Editors may want to consider adding subpages to various categories.
- Purple - Purple notes are used to provide general information about the site. Purple notes do not affect the color of the edit button, so they are used to provide informational notes on heavily listed domains (e.g. wikipedia.org) without attracting undue attention. Older general information notes have black text on a gray background, while the newer notes are a blue-purple color.
When in editing mode, the buttons will appear in color if one of these notes is attached to an URL. You may choose to turn of this color coding feature in your editor profile:
- Go to "Editor Main" (i.e. your dashboard)
- Click on the "Change Profile" link on the right side of your screen
- On your profile, click on the box next to "Disable the color coded edit buttons for URL notes"
- Go to the bottom of the page, and click on "Submit Profile Change"
- Who Can Add These Notes?
Admins, (k)metas, (k)editalls, (k)catmods, and (k)cateditalls can add, delete, or modify these notes. These edits are logged.
All editors can read them.
- How Can I Get a Note Added?
An editor with appropriate permissions will add a note to the URL.
- If I Delete a URL with a Note, is the Note Deleted?
No, the system saves the note and corresponding URL if deleted. If an URL with a note is re-submitted or added again, the note will reappear.
- I see a button with a different color than those above?
This is because a "URL Flag" had been attached to the listing. Read more about the flags...