- Mass Spectrometry is the technique in which the analyte is ionized, separated from its matrix and mixture components, according its mass–to–charge ratio (m/z}, and detected to determine the molecular weight of component isotopes.
- Common Abbreviations:
- ESI - ElectroSpray Ionization
- FAB - Fast Atom Bombardment
- ICP - Inductively Coupled Plasma
- MALDI - Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization
- MS/MS - Mass Spectrometry repeated, typically within an ion trap
- TOF - Time Of Flight
Harsh-Environment Mass Spectrometry
Biannual four day workshop, including applications under-water and in outer space, with abstracts and presentations at Cocoa Beach, Florida.
Introduction to Mass Spectrometry
Definitions and biological applications at Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, England.
Mass Spectrometry and Biotechnology Resource
Provides reference materials for scientists working with mass spectrometry in the biotechnology industry.
Mass Spectrometry Blog
Web log of MS web sites and other links, maintained at Department of Chemistry, Louisiana State University.
Mobile Miniature Mass Spectrometer
Resource focusing on field-portable MS instruments, with classification by probe, links to project, development, MSDS, software and databases.
Sci Techniques Mass Spec
Archives of forum, with categories for groups, troubleshooting, tutorials, professional, societies, listservers, journals, companies, supplies and services, maintained at Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta.
Selected Ion Flow Tube Mass Spectrometry
Introduction to SIFT-MS for trace gas analysis of air, breath and liquid headspace, in medicine, biology and environmental applications. Includes links to related articles.
Time Of Flight Mass Spectrometer Tutorial
Stepwise guide on the fundamentals of the method through ionisation, acceleration and detection, and instrument components required, by manufacturer and supplier R M Jordan Co Inc, Grass Valley, California.
Wikipedia: Mass Spectrometry
Introduction and related links.