Old-fashioned little town and one of the principal market-towns of West Durham. Some consider it to be the capital of Upper Teesdale.
Grew to prominence after the London Lead Company established its centre in the town in 1815.
Sites submitted here should be based in the locality. Sites with a more general county focus should be submitted to the top county categories.